Thursday, January 7, 2010

Home Made SCD Legal Mayonnaise

This will probably weird a lot of people out, but I LOVE mayonnaise. I could eat that shit with a spoon. Hot sauce and mayo are like 2 of my favorite things to put on anything and combined they are wonderful. Problem is, most store bought mayo is chock full of preservatives, artificial crap, and made with terrible quality oil. Even organic mayos seem to have sugar. One brand, spectrum, has sugar free SCD mayonnaise, but it's 10 freakin dollars a jar! At the rate I eat the stuff that simply will not do.

I've tried the blender/food processor method of homemade mayo a million times and always end up with watery weirdness. Until now! My mother bought me a little Cuisinart hand blender for the sole purpose of making my own, and I must say its essential to getting the right consistency in about 60 seconds.


Now to work on the flavor... What came out tastes a bit mustard-y, and kinda like dijonaise. Not bad, but not mayo. Also, I used extra virgin against mom's advice because it's all I had handy, but she says that light olive oil tastes much better. I'll continue to tweak the recipe and keep you updated, but this one is pretty darn tasty for dipping chicken in, and would be perfect on any sandwich (if I could eat sandwiches, that is).

1 Egg
1 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
2 TBS Lemon Juice
1/2 TBS Dijon Mustard
Salt to Taste

Crack the egg in a tall cylindrical container. Add lemon juice, mustard and salt. Pour in oil. Put your hand blender all the way to the bottom of the container, and turn on. Slowly move it up and out of the liquid, by the time you reach the top it should be mayo. If it's oily still, move it up and down a little, but not too much because it will break down and turn watery.

No comments:

Post a Comment