Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Masterquiche

This post is named after the master piece that I came up with yesterday, hereby known as the Masterquiche. I had a ton of veggies about to go bad, 2 dozen eggs, and a bunch of cheese. The first one was so good that Adam and I ate it and I made another one for today. You can prep a bunch of the veggies and throw this together in about 5 minutes if you want a few fresh out of the oven, but they also taste great cold. I didn't really have a recipe, but I'll try and recreate this as best as I can... Store leftover veggies for an omelet or additional quiche.

Masterquiche
makes one

1/2 Sweet Onion diced
1/3 Red Onion diced
3 Scallions finely chopped
1/3 Red Bell Pepper chopped
1/3 Yellow Bell Pepper chopped
1/3 Orange or Green Bell Pepper chopped
4-5 Baby Bella Mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 TBS Minced Garlic
1 Small crown of Broccoli finely chopped
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar loosely packed
2/3 Cup Swiss or Gruyere loosely packed
1/2 Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan
4-5 eggs (depending on size)
Salt and pepper to taste

Prep work is the key in this recipe.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, make your crust, chop all vegetables. A food processor is helpful for the onions, but I would suggest doing the rest by hand to avoid veggie mush. Beat eggs until fluffy, grate all the cheeses, and set aside. Par bake your crust for 10 min, but I suggest omitting the honey. I think it comes out better for a savory dish without it. A food processor works great for this too.

Place broccoli on a foiled cookie sheet and sprinkle/toss in olive oil and salt. Roast for 15 min. While the broccoli is roasting, saute sweet onion and mushrooms over medium heat in olive oil until they have given off their liquid and are a caramel color. Add garlic, brown a little more, and transfer to a bowl. By this time the broccoli should be done, add it to the bowl.

Now saute the bell peppers the same way as the mushrooms until slightly brown, transfer to the bowl. I cook them in this order because different types of vegetables cook at different rates, so if I did the peppers with the mushrooms they would burn before the onions were caramelized. It's possible to do them all in the same pan, but the flavor isn't as great in my opinion. I use a lot of salt, but you can choose how much you'd like when cooking everything. No need to cook the scallions or red onion. When you're done you should have a couple little bowls of prepped veggies.
At this point you should have all your cheese, crust, veggies and eggs ready to go in front of you. Place a thin layer of cheddar and swiss at the bottom of crust. Spread an evenly mixed layer of all the veggies, and cover that with a bit of the egg. Use a spoon to smear the egg over the whole top if needed. Repeat this process until you are out of everything except the Parmesan. After you have done your top layer of egg, cover with parm and fresh cracked pepper. I also dusted with a little garlic and salt. Bake for 40-45 min until egg is set, and you will have a masterquiche!

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing... hehehe... masterquiche.

    ReplyDelete