Saturday, January 9, 2010

Incredible Edible Egg

Eggs are quite possibly the perfect food. They are fantastic Poached, scrambled, fried, boiled, or deviled. In a soup, a stir fry, a smoothie, or as a binder in baking. Eff all that cholesterol talk. I've spoken with all my docs and the amount of eggs I eat seems to be fine, as is my cholesterol.

That said, I really miss the combo of egg and toast with hashbrowns. I've discovered that enjoying my food is not only about the taste, but the texture as well. When you take away the toast and hashbrown from the eggs, you still have the gooey, but no crispy. I NEED MY CRISPY!

As a substitute I came up with this little gem of a recipe. It's actually more of a rough draft because I never really use measuring cups or spoons. Feel free to tailor the recipe to your specific likings by adding more or less onions, fresh garlic or whatever. Also, the onions, mushrooms, and eggs all get cold extremely quick, so it's best if you can have 2-3 pans going at once so you can coordinate everything being done at the same time (not recommended for the kitchen novice, try the recipe a couple times first).

Fried Eggs on Crispy Onions topped with Sherried Mushrooms
(serves 3)

1 Sweet Onion, Sliced into thick rings
1 Package of sliced Mushrooms (baby bellas or crimini are best)
6 Eggs
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder to taste
Cooking Sherry
Olive Oil

Heat about a half inch of olive oil on medium-high. Fry onions until very crispy, almost black or burnt. Remove from heat and drain on paper towel, set aside.

Sautee mushrooms in olive oil, salt pepper and garlic. Once they have released their liquid and browned, add sherry (I use about 1/4 cup) and cook until pan is almost dry. Remove from heat and set aside.

Fry eggs in butter, being careful not to break the yolks. Place 2 eggs on a small bed of onions, top with mushrooms and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment